New Branch Leader

This forum is for news and information regarding the Kent Branch and its events.
Uki B

New Branch Leader

Post by Uki B » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi to all Kent members,

Simon Dobson has come forward to volunteer as new Branch Leader. He is very enthusiastic and has the approval of the committee to revive the Branch.
I wish him all the best and I hope you will support him. Thanks

Uki

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Re: New Branch Leader

Post by Chris950s » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:24 pm

Well done Simon, we will have to visit you from Essex this year!
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica still in bits), 1966 Triumph T100SS 50 years young last year!

SimonD
MGCGB Member

Post by SimonD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Uki, Chris,

Thank you both. You’re more than welcome to join any of our events of course!

Fellow Kent Guzzisti,

By way of self-introduction, I’m a sixty-something Chartered Engineer from the Wirral. I’ve lived in Sandgate for many years and work in Folkestone. I have just re-joined the club.

My first bike was actually a scooter, a Lambretta, I think, a school-pal and I bought it at the school fete for a fiver when we were ten or eleven, got a neighbour to collect & deliver it, and rode it round his (large) garden for a while. I had an orange Honda CB250G5 with Rickman fairing in university days, and then turned to cars. Hankering after a bike again, in 1989, I passed my test and promptly bought my Le Mans from a chap in Coventry, and have had a few years of riding, alternating with a few years of not riding it ever since. My wife & I did a couple of long runs in France, one of which was 1800 miles and three weeks, down the west coast, into Spain, and back via Santander. It’s now officially an “Historic Vehicle” which is rather splendid. I had a Honda Pan Euro for a few years when I commuted to Basildon, and I recently inherited a BMW F650, which is my day-to-day bike. I’m also a member of EKAM - East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists - and working towards my test at present.

There are a few regular biker meetings that I’m aware of in East Kent - there seems to be a regular meet on Dover sea front at Pebbles cafe on Tuesday evenings (maybe alternate weeks) and I’ll check on dates and publish them here. The Classics & Chips meets at Minis Bay are a Monthly get together organised by the Thanet car club, was well attended by bikes when I went. Again, I’ll make contact, and publish details.

I know of a few other regular meets, including the Rye harbour on Sundays, I believe the Blue cafe at Smeeth, and the Airport Cafe at Lympne are also bike friendly. I’ve also spoken to the Dover Transport Museum, and they’d be happy to welcome a group visit.

If you’ll let me know what kind of events you would like, and when - weekday evening / weekend - and details you might have of other venues for potential regular meets, I’ll try to coordinate a calendar with at least one regular, and maybe one peripatetic venue each month.

Please feel free to contact me by Private Message or add to this thread - I’ll put an email & phone number out in a day or two.

Looking forward to meeting up
Simon

Kent Shaun
MGCGB Member

Post by Kent Shaun » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Good luck Simon with being our leader, due to my idiotic choice of employment, I'm working behind a steering wheel in France. This sees me buggered for meeting up during the week, and every other Saturday I'm usually waiting for the French to come off strike before I get home. So some Sunday's would be good for me.... ;)

Prefer to ride and camp, see you at the Not the Clox camp if you're going, look out for the 87 T5 with the White barn door fairing, that'll be me.... :D
How Much..!

SimonD
MGCGB Member

Post by SimonD » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 am

Morning all!

I have a new email address from which I’ll be contacting the local members over the weekend.

It is

Kent.MGCGB@gmail.com

You can still contact me via Private Message or post this website, of course.

Would love to hear from people what they might like to do. Please don’t be shy.

I will set up a regular monthly meeting point, and maybe we can take it from there.

Cheers
Simon

philz777
MGCGB Member

Post by philz777 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:45 am

Hi Simon, good to hear from you, I am new to the club but not Guzzi. I live close to you in Hythe and always interested in meets or trips out. Keep me posted with whatever you would like to organise! I own a Stelvio and 1100 sporti. Will keep watching this thread. Thanks again, Phil

SimonD
MGCGB Member

Post by SimonD » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your note.

I’ve got a cunning plan for an initial branch meeting, which I’m planning for Wednesday 29th Jan. evening. Details to follow!

Hope you, and others, will be able to make it. Watch this space!

Atb
Simon

SimonD
MGCGB Member

Post by SimonD » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Tentative plan for a Branch meeting.

Wednesday 29th January, the Bookmakers’ Arms, Charing. 7pm. Charing is as near the middle of Kent as makes no difference!

It’s quite a small place, so it would be good if anyone is planning to attend, to please let me know.

If it appears that we’ll be mob-handed, I’ll check out another pub in the area.

Hope to see you there!
Simon

mikehutt

Post by mikehutt » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi
I am Mike Hutt and would like to attend this meet on the 29th . it wood be good to seee some activity in the kent branch ,
i live very near to the bookmakers and it is tiny . if you get a larger response meybe the Bowl or wagon and horses both near charing . I know the VMCC meet monthly at the wagon and horses
Mike
125 Stornello isdt
V50 mk2
LM MK2 ( Mk1 ised)

SimonD
MGCGB Member

Post by SimonD » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Mike

thanks for getting back to me - I spoke to Graham at the Bookmaker's, he's ok, but as you say, it's very small.

If we get lots of takers, then I'll contact the Bowl or Wagon & Horses as you suggest

thanks again
Simon

Return to “Kent Branch”