CONFIRMED: ESSEX CAMPING WEEKEND 14-16 JUNE 2019

All you need to know about the Essex branch and its events.
Evie

CONFIRMED: ESSEX CAMPING WEEKEND 14-16 JUNE 2019

Post by Evie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:25 pm

ESSEX CAMPING WEEKEND - THE DETAILS AND HOW TO BOOK:

The very informal and totally unofficial not organised in any way Essex Camping weekend is now confirmed as Friday 14th to Sunday 16th June 2019 at the Star Inn, Steeple, Southminster, Essex, CM0 7LF. The pubs website is www.thestarinnsteeple.co.uk and their telephone number is 01621772646.

THE DETAILS
Camping is by prebook only with bookings made directly with The Star and is strictly available to over 18s only, whether accompanied or not. The campsite has ladies and gents toilets, showers and washing facilities. The cost to camp is £8 per tent per night, dogs are free. The cost for a caravan or motorhome is £15 per night, with electric hook up available on a prepaid meter card available on arrival with a value of either £1 or £5, dogs are again free. There are four en suite Bed and Breakfast rooms available at £60 per room per night, pets are £10 extra per night.

The pub does real ales and serves food - its best to pre book a table if you intend to dine though as they do get busy. They have a set menu (see their website) but do lots of specials too.

They will (exceptionally just for us) do a breakfast for campers on Saturday morning (but not Sunday morning as they are too busy doing Sunday roast) - again you need to prebook this with the pub, they can offer a small full English breakfast at £7.95 and a large Full English at £9.95.

Its not intended to be a strict motorcycle only weekend - cars and any other vehicles are most definitely welcome, we appreciate not everyone can or wants to be on a bike and we'd all rather enjoy your company than not see you there. Feel free to come along for the whole weekend, or just a Friday night or a Saturday night if you prefer, or just come along for a few hours and join us all for a few drinks and dinner.

HOW TO BOOK
You're totally responsible for your own booking, its not an official or organised event in any way, shape or form, just a bunch of people who might happen to be at the same place at the same time.

Camping is pre book only and there are a limited number of pitches available and just four B&B rooms so I suggest you book quickly to avoid disappointment. Phone the pub direct on 01621 772646 and say you're with the "Moto Guzzi" group (this is just so they will dine us together in the function room when you book breakfast, dinners etc). Tell them what dates you want and if you are camping / caravanning/in a motorhome / want a B&B room), AND if you want to book a table for dinner on Friday and / or Saturday AND (for campers) if you want to book a breakfast on Saturday. You pay them direct on arrival.

Any questions or queries please post on the forum. Lots of love Evie

THIS IS A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL POST WHICH STARTED THE DISCUSSION ON THE ESSEX CAMPING WEEKEND - RETAINED HERE FOR INFORMATION:
Hi, its been mentioned a few times that we should do a camping weekend for the Branch so I thought I'd start the discussion off.

I think the Star at Steeple near Southminster in Essex would be a good choice of venue - its not too far away for all of us but is nonetheless a nice ride out. It's a good biker friendly pub that serves real ales, food and has a good camping field with gents and ladies toilets, shower block and washing up facilities at £8.00 per tent per night. They also have four double en suite B&B rooms at £60 per room per night for those that want to come along but don't fancy camping.

The pub is dog friendly and they are allowed in the bar (but not the restaurant part) and you can have them stay in the B&B rooms at £10 extra per night. There's no extra charge for the dog to camp with you.

I'd suggest we just aim to make it for one Saturday night event initially, have dinner in the pub and a few drinks on Saturday night and prebook a breakfast in the pub for Sunday morning so we don't have to worry about catering etc. We can see how just one night works out for us and maybe if its a great success arrange another for the whole weekend.

The website for the pub if you want to check it out is www.thestarinnsteeple.co.uk/ and of course its our Branch meeting venue in February so you can all review it then too.

I'd suggest a date in June on the basis that July and August are otherwise busy holiday times and something is likely to clash. I know there is a Guzzi Treffen rally in Holland on the weekend of 21st June and our branch meeting is on 23rd June so I'm avoiding those dates so my suggestion for a date would be Saturday 15th June.

So, here are all the details to get us started - anyone interested in such an event or any comments? Love Evie
Last edited by Evie on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Re: ESSEX BRANCH CAMPING WEEKEND ?

Post by Chris950s » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello Evie, great call! We had a 70's themed camping birthday party there a few years ago. Good spot, the date is penciled in my diary :D
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica still in bits), 1966 Triumph T100SS 50 years young last year!

cyclobutch
MGCGB Member

Post by cyclobutch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:57 pm

That's an exciting development - hoping I can make that.
1980 V50 II........................1981 T3.......................1973 Eldo Loop
- 'The Black Pearl'.............- 'Blue'...............................- 'Jug'

various others.

buzz
MGCGB Member

Post by buzz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 am

That sounds like a good call, I think a Friday & Saturday nights would be preferable. Lots of people won't make the effort for one night, cheers evie thanks,
Essex' scout, :evil:

delboy
MGCGB Member

Post by delboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Sounds very good venue will have a chance to look at it next month well done Evie. Do agree with Mick don’t think many will venture here for single night😀

Evie

Post by Evie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone, I'm happy to offer a Friday and Saturday night camping weekend if that's the preference - those that can't make both can join us for one or the other then.

We can firm up dates and details once we've been there in February for the branch meeting - I'll confirm final arrangements shortly after the February meeting so everyone can book either a pitch or a room. Since my first post, the pub has now said that they can offer breakfast to those in the rooms but not to the campers unfortunately - I'm sure we can sort out some tea and coffee and rustle up some bacon and egg sannies between us though xx.

Lots of love, Evie x

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Post by Chris950s » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 pm

I think 2 nights is a good call, it caters for people who only want to stay for one (either one) and those who would prefer two. Any Ideas for competitions and games?

If you are planning a concourse competition I will have to start polishing now! Furthest traveled? Oldest bike? Dirtiest bike? Most ridiculous tool kit? Fancy dress? Worst jokes? (no competition eh Perky?) :D
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica still in bits), 1966 Triumph T100SS 50 years young last year!

cyclobutch
MGCGB Member

Post by cyclobutch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Conversely I'm a one night stand kind of guy - unable to sustain any great deal of attention for anything longer.

Games? I could bring my guitar and you could all throw rocks at me. More seriously, is there a dart board?

various others.

buzz
MGCGB Member

Post by buzz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Darts yes let's have human dart boards ' rocks are so'yesterday.

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Post by Chris950s » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm

I wasn't suggesting violent games. Butch if you take your guitar I will take my kazoo :D
Chris and Karen - Essex

buzz
MGCGB Member

Post by buzz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

And I'll bring me maracas ' :lol:

RedMog

Post by RedMog » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Well, if they aren't serving breakfast may I suggest an early ride out to "The Cabin Dairy Café and Tea Rooms" in Burnham-on-Crouch, 'cause I need BREAKFAST!
Andy & Karen

Champagne V11 Le Mans

buzz
MGCGB Member

Post by buzz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:31 pm

Yes thers a couple of cafes in Burnham and also maldon, but hopefully evei can work her magick on the pub' thay are doing breki for the rooms so it seems ' so why pass up the opportunity to make more money by not doing breki for the campers. Hears hoping.

RedMog

Post by RedMog » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Well, if Evie is using magick it's a done deal then! :?

Any one for "second breakfast" in Burnham then . . .
:D
Andy & Karen

Champagne V11 Le Mans

buzz
MGCGB Member

Post by buzz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 pm

No' pie & mash in Maldon for brunch' lol. Then Burnham for lunch, or early afternoon tea.
Then diat for a week.

Evie

Post by Evie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:32 pm

By popular request, I've emailed the pub again to plead for breakfast for the campers as well - I will let you know their reply when I get it :). Love Evie

buzz
MGCGB Member

Post by buzz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30 am

I recon we should go see the boss at the pub in Pearson,
See if we can get there reasons for the decision and see if we can persuade them to.make mony.
See you at the meet on Sunday 20th /01/19

Evie

Post by Evie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:56 am

We'll see what they say - maybe she misunderstood my first message xx. I've since explained that some will be camping but some of the group might be in the B&B and we'd all like to breakfast together if we can. If we need to, the Cabin cafe at Burnham is only 6 miles away, though I'm sure between us we could rustle up some bacon and egg sannies to see us through to brunch xx

Evie

ALL ARRANGEMENTS NOW CONFIRMED - THIS EXPLAINS THE DETAILS AND HOW TO BOOK

Post by Evie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:20 pm

The very informal and totally unofficial not organised in any way Essex Camping weekend is now confirmed as Friday 14th to Sunday 16th June 2019 at the Star Inn, Steeple, Southminster, Essex, CM0 7LF. The pubs website is www.thestarinnsteeple.co.uk and their telephone number is 01621772646.

THE DETAILS
Camping is strictly available to over 18s only, whether accompanied or not. The campsite has ladies and gents toilets, showers and washing facilities. The cost to camp is £8 per tent per night, dogs are free. The cost for a caravan or motorhome is £15 per night, with electric hook up available on a prepaid meter card available on arrival with a value of either £1 or £5, dogs are again free. There are four en suite Bed and Breakfast rooms available at £60 per room per night, pets are £10 extra per night.

The pub does real ales and serves food - its best to pre book a table if you intend to dine though as they do get busy. They have a set menu (see their website) but do lots of specials too.

They will (exceptionally just for us) do a breakfast for campers on Saturday morning (but not Sunday morning as they are too busy doing Sunday roast) - again you need to prebook this with the pub, they can offer a small full English breakfast at £7.95 and a large Full English at £9.95.

Its not intended to be a strict motorcycle only weekend - cars and any other vehicles are most definitely welcome, we appreciate not everyone can or wants to be on a bike and we'd all rather enjoy your company than not see you there. Feel free to come along for the whole weekend, or just a Friday night or a Saturday night if you prefer, or just come along for a few hours and join us all for a few drinks and dinner.

HOW TO BOOK
You're totally responsible for your own booking, its not an official or organised event in any way, shape or form, just a bunch of people who might happen to be at the same place at the same time.

There are a limited number of pitches available and just four B&B rooms so I suggest you book quickly to avoid disappointment. Phone the pub direct on 01621 772646 and say you're with the "Moto Guzzi" group (this is just so they will dine us together in the function room when you book breakfast, dinners etc). Tell them what dates you want and if you are camping / caravanning/in a motorhome / want a B&B room), AND if you want to book a table for dinner on Friday and / or Saturday AND (for campers) if you want to book a breakfast on Saturday. You pay them direct on arrival.

Any questions or queries please post on the forum. Lots of love Evie
Last edited by Evie on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

buzz
MGCGB Member

Re: CONFIRMED: ESSEX CAMPING WEEKEND 14-16 JUNE 2019

Post by buzz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 pm

Cheers evie ' it's going to be a great weekend. In the Essex country side. Well done.

cyclobutch
MGCGB Member

Post by cyclobutch » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Excited already on this one - just got to get that date past my PA/Accountant before I can sign up. Nice work Evie.

various others.

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Post by Chris950s » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:15 am

Other great breakfast places are the Tiptree tearooms at either Heybridge Basin or Osea caravan park, both overlook the river and do a very good breakfast. They are owned and run by Tiptree Jam Co. Although both are on the other side of the estuary from Steeple they are not far.
Chris and Karen - Essex

Mike H
MGCGB Member

Post by Mike H » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Looking at my bookings, I could make this if y'all can put up with my presence? :D
Never trust anyone who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, does not try it on.

2Tdrinkers
MGCGB Member

Post by 2Tdrinkers » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Hello Evie

This is something Alan and I will try and get to depending on whether he can get another Friday off as we already have two other camps in June. I don’t think I have ever been to your neck of the woods so will do my best to make sure we get there.

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm

That would be lovely - and always great to see other people. Just a heads up that the camping is limited and prebook only I'm afraid - so best to book and check direct with the pub before you set off if you can't commit to closer to the time. Thanks so much, best wishes, Evie x

Evie

Post by Evie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Mike H wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:38 pm
Looking at my bookings, I could make this if y'all can put up with my presence? :D
Always lovely to hear from you MIke and glad you might be able to make it - its very informal and our first such event so very exciting - camping is prebook only with your booking made direct with the pub and places are limited so please bear this in mind when making arrangements, love Evie

Mike H
MGCGB Member

Post by Mike H » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Will look into this, thanks.
Never trust anyone who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, does not try it on.

2Tdrinkers
MGCGB Member

Post by 2Tdrinkers » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 pm

All booked in for two nights and meals for both nights. It will be something to look forward to.

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Post by Chris950s » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 pm

All booked both nights with meals as well :D
Chris and Karen - Essex

cyclobutch
MGCGB Member

Post by cyclobutch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:06 pm

Cripes I need to get my act together or the bar will already be booked out for the Saturday night.

various others.

Return to “Essex Branch”