Cornwall Branch Revival?

This forum is for news and information regarding the Cornwall branch and it's events.
Taylors1960

Cornwall Branch Revival?

Post by Taylors1960 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm volunteering to try and revive the Cornwall Branch. I'm fairly new to Guzzis and it would be good to meet and ride with fellow enthusiasts including non-Guzzi owners of similar marques or just those with an interest.

I've posted on the FB pages and hopefully my details will appear in the next edition of Gambalunga.

If there's anyone in Cornwall interested in meeting up let me know where you live (approx area) and I'll see about finding suitable meeting places for ride outs or, in inclement weather, possible meet ups for a brew.

I'm based near Porthtowan/Portreath.

Best wishes,
Ian Taylor

maggi
MGCGB Member

Re: Cornwall Branch Revival?

Post by maggi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Good luck Ian

Maggi, Dorset rep.
Maggi, Mid-Dorset Branch Rep

Chris950s
MGCGB Member

Post by Chris950s » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Ian, if you have not done so already have a chat with Sue Nock the branch coordinator. Details in Gambalunga. Best of luck with your efforts
Chris and Karen - Essex
2011 Stelvio NTX, 1974 950S (750S replica still in bits), 1966 Triumph T100SS 50 years young last year!

martinpenk
MGCGB Member

Post by martinpenk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:01 am

Hi

I had the same thought. I'm based in Lostwithiel - mid cornwall. Happy to meet to discuss. There are probably a few who attended previous meetings at the Cornwall Services but since this time I haven't been. A few keen guys down west - Helston and Hayle way.

Martin 07565 529404 -email probably best at martin@penkarchitecture.com

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks Maggi, and Chris & Karen.

Martin I've had a couple of PM responses as well so it looks like there is interest. We're quite spread out (over 50 miles so far at the furthest) but where there's a will there's a way! I'll add your email to my list and let's keep in touch. One of the other guys mentioned Louis Tea Rooms near Callington which wouldn't be a bad run for you, have you been? First Sunday of the month.

Bantam Phil
MGCGB Member

Post by Bantam Phil » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:43 am

Ian,

Well done with trying to start a Cornwall Group, not trying to put you off but it is quite difficult to get a group off the ground. I am the BSA Bantam Club Cornwall Rep and although we have around fifteen members (or maybe more) in Cornwall I have to be honest to say that we have never got together ! Saying that I have got together with the Devon crowd on many occasions for some successful meets and events, we even managed to get together a few of us on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago, even though the weather was not great.

A few years ago now, must have been maybe 2001/2002/2003 ?? someone did try to get a Cornwall MGC group going, we met up in a Pub one evening somewhere near Truro, not sure how successful following meets were but from what I understand it was a struggle.

The "Louis Cafe" idea is a good one, this meet is organised by the VMCC (Vintage Motorcycle Club) but in practice is a general purpose all welcome meet up, the good thing is that it is an informal meet and more or less all and sundry there, obviously a lot of older machinery but a bit of everything else as well.

One of the best things about getting some sort of face to face meet is what's called these days "networking" but is just getting to know people and the amount of info and help there is out there, believe me there is always someone who knows the answer to a problem or who knows where to go to get something done etc. A few years ago now I had a phone call from someone who was a Morini Club member ( I hand not been a member for years but still owned a Morini) we had a few chats on the phone and had a few meet ups, he asked me one day if I knew anyone who could change a Morini cam belt, I said bring it over and I will do it. Then a short time later someone else that he knew asked me if I could do his, so I did that as well. For me this was no problem, it was good to help out and maybe one day someone can help me out some way. This is often how things work in the "old motorcycle" network once you get to know people, we do the same in the Bantam world, often one of us has either got the part or knowledge to keep these old critters on the go.

Just for info I know the Morini Club have a meet up now and gain at the Steam Railway at Buckfastleigh in Devon, and thats a sort of great if you come on a Morini or ideally another Italian machine, great if you come on an "oldie" but more or less just turn up.
By the way I have just re-joined the MGC, last time I was in this club was in the eighties !!! I have owned Guzzi's off and on since then including a Military 500 Single for around 17 years (sold last year) and now have a 1994 California 1100, bit of a beast compared with my Bantam !

Regards Phil

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi Phil and thanks for the comments. I’m sure we’d all be pleased to see some BSA owners & enthusiasts as well as Guzzi fans.

The latest thinking is the second Wednesday of the month starting with the 9th January at the Falmouth Arms in Ladock. We also plan to organise ride outs and again would be delighted for anyone to attend, Guzzi, BSA or other.

Best wishes,
Ian

Rob Evans

Post by Rob Evans » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:27 pm

Hi Ian,
Following on from Martin's post, I also attended a few meetings at Cornwall Services and would be interested in a revival of the branch. I'm based just west of Camborne but work in Truro.
All the best,

Rob Evans

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:23 pm

That’s great Rob,

I couldn’t attend the first one, shingles got me, but there were 6 or 7 there and John James (the rep named in the latest Gambalunga) paved the way for future meetings to be held there.

I’ll be there on 13th so I hope you can make it.

I noticed from the magazine that we have another new member in Cornwall (Phil Keast) so hopefully we’ll see Phil before long.

All the best,
Ian.

jmee54
MGCGB Member

Post by jmee54 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi, I too am a veteran of the Cornwall Services era. Callington might be a bit far for me this time of year, but I'm interested in giving it another go. My Guzzis both need a bit of fettling before they'll be ready so I might have to come by car or V Strom for a bit! I am near RNAS Culdrose on the Lizzard.

Cheers John.

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:43 am

Hi John and we hope to see you. I'm a fair weather rider on the Guzzi and I don't like to ride in the dark even on my GS. So until Spring I'll probably be on 4 wheels.

If you want to PM me your email I can add you to the mailing group.

Some dates sent through by Pete Dempster might be of interest to some Cornwall folks. Copied and pasted below:

1) Sunday 24th March - West Dorset Mad March Hare Run, meet at Broadwindsor Craft Centre
DT8 3PX 10am for a 10:30 departure.

2) Sunday 26th April - Meeting up with the Morini Club for a run out along minor
A&B roads to The Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre nr. Lifton PL16 0AT then on to Moto Velo
in Crediton via the old A30 towards Sourton Down.
Meet 10:30 Bedford Square car park in Tavistock.

3) Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th May - Branch ‘Big Chill’ camping weekend,
this year we’re linking up again with the Upottery Airfield Heritage Trust for a
Military Experience Event, titled Weston War Ag,
which is being held at Westonzoyland Airfield TA7 0JS nr. Bridgewater.
The event runs from 10 - 5 each day. Camping with facilities £5 p.p.p.n.

4) Sunday 28th July - ride out to attend the Classic & Custom Bike Gathering at
Cockington Court, Torquay TQ2 6XA. £3.00 entrance. Meet 10:30 Dream Machine Cafe
on A379 between Modbury and Aveton Gifford.

Pinky
MGCGB Member

Post by Pinky » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi Folks

The date 26th April shown for the Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre run should
be Sunday 28th April, apologies for the incorrect entry, my fault entirely. :oops:
All other details correct.

Pete West Devon

jmee54
MGCGB Member

Post by jmee54 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 pm

It's funny this section goes years without traffic and now it's the busiest on the forum! :lol:

Bantam Phil
MGCGB Member

Post by Bantam Phil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Looks like there is a bit of interest which is a good thing (especially this time of year), will try to get to the next meet, (second wednesday of month).
Just to warn you will most likely turn up on my trusty winter steed a MZ TS250 so if you see a cloud of blue smoke it's probably me !!

Phil

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 pm

Ah the old MZ Phil, in the 80’s people couldn’t get rid of them, now those same people are buying them. If only we’d kept them.

Bantam Phil
MGCGB Member

Post by Bantam Phil » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:31 am

Yes couldn't hardly give them away one time. I had one or two back in the eighties as general purpose hacks and the funny thing is plenty of Morini owners (I was a Morini owner too by the way) had one as well. I remember reading a Morini Club magazine back then that was issued around October time and it said something like "yes it's the time of year when all around the country you can here the ring a ding ding of Morini owners firing up their MZ's for the winter". The Morini magazine also used to run technical articles now and then for MZ'S as so many people had them.

I was also a member of the Guzzi club through the eighties too but thats another story, Vee Twin Rally at Shaftesbury was the highlight of the year and whats more the sun shone every year as I recall.

Phil

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:10 pm

:)

jmee54
MGCGB Member

Post by jmee54 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Sitting here talking to someone about Convert torque converters and I've just realised I've missed the meet up. Bugger Bugger Bugger! I was looking forward to the ride over and meeting folk. Ho hum, it'll have to be the next one. Sorry everyone.

Taylors1960

Post by Taylors1960 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:51 am

I missed it too. I was working in Plymouth then Totnes and didn't get home in time to get sorted and out. :(

Return to “Cornwall Branch”